Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kevin-1 Gallbladder-0

Kevin survived the "battle of the gallbladder" and he came home today with one less organ than what he had when he woke up this morning.

Yup, he got to come home. Technology baffles me sometimes. Its amazing how someone can go in to the hospital, have a body part removed using a small little scope, wake up from anastesia and then go home less than 12 hours later with a prescription for pain killers.

He's doing fine now, he's sore, and the pain meds make him very tired, but he's doing just fine. He's been sleeping all evening. Aiden woke up this morning and when I went to get him from his crib, he was confused that it was Mommy and not Daddy coming into his room. "Daddy, go?" He asked. I had explained to him last night that daddy has an owey in his tummy and he has to go to the doctor... so when he asked "daddy, go?" I said "remember Daddy has an owey and has to go to the doctor" Then he did something that made me realize that he does actually listen to me, and remembers what I say... he lifted his shirt and pointed to his tummy and said "daddy, owey tummy" He remembered where daddy's owey was. I know, its a story that only the mother cares about, but I was very amused at the fact that he can comprehend things like that and he's not even 2 yet. When Kevin got home, Aiden was very aware that something was different and when we were eating dinner, he said "shhhhhhh daddy sleeping" and then mumbled mismashed words like "shhh" "tummy" "daddy" "owey" "night night" LIke I said before... My kid's a freakin' genius. At least I think so. And I'm the only one that matters, so...

So Kevin has to go to get Lab work done tomorrow, just to make sure he doesn't have any stones in his Common Bile Duct. mmmmm.... Bile.... If there IS a stone, he'll have to have that removed sometime soon. They would sedate him slightly and go in through his mouth and shove a tube all the way down.... ick. Lets pray that he doesn't have to do that.

Here's a handy illistration of a gallbladder and a Common Bile Duct, in case you had no idea where your gallbladder and bile duct is... now you know.

4 comments:

Penny said...

Hey Nana here! She loves little stories like that. By the way I have been telling you that he is a little genius for months now, and you just kept saying it was because I was his Nana. LOL
I'm happy to hear that Kevin is doing well. I hope he doesn't have to do that other procedure, it doesn't sound very pleasant at all. Tell Kevin I said "Good luck" with all that.

BoneDaddy said...

It's still funny to see them comprehend something you thought they previously couldn't.

Tab said...

Glad to hear Kevin made it out alive! I knew he'd kick that gall bladder to the curb!

And how awesome is Aiden?! Really?!

It's so hard to imagine, even with all we DON'T know about our own bodies, that a small child who isn't even 2 years old can understand situations and routines and think their own thoughts....I honestly think it's mind boggling. They are so small and tiny yet they have working body parts and organs just like us! It's amazing! And it really makes you wonder how and why our bodies just naturally respond to all sorts of situations and complications. We all are a huge work of art!

There's my wisdom for the day. Glad I got that out of the way right away this morning. Now I can dumb it down for the rest of the day!

Jennie W said...

Poor Kevin! Glad to know you are better!