Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Flu shot is a crock of...

Aiden had the flu the past two days, and now Kevin has it. Its a bad one too. Lots of vomiting.... so gross. WHy I haven't gotten it yet is beyond me. I'm sure I'll be huggin' the toilet come tomorrow afternoon, if the pattern continues.

So I've only seen Kevin once or twice- I refuse to be in the same room. icky. SO Aiden and I hung out alone down stairs and played and played and played. He was being super funny so I got a few good pics. Well, wish me luck. There isn't a single surface in our house that hasn't been lysoled to all hell, or sani-wiped. Every door knob, light switch, toilet handle, etc. Its out of my hands now.

Time to watch House. Till next time.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually...the flu shot protects influenza A which is a disease of the respiratory system and doesn't cause vomiting or diarrhea. It's a common misconception but influenza can lead to death via pneumonia and infection of the respiratory track. Influenza A is actually closer to having a really bad cold (fever, aches and pains, coughing, etc). The "stomach flu" is usually caused by a bacteria (influenza is a virus) and while they are working on vaccines for the stomach flu, there are soooooo many bugs that can cause the symptoms that it's difficult to vaccinate against them all plus a lot of them pass around resistance plasmids. Sorry for the science lesson but it IS my thing after all. Hope you all feel better soon.

April said...

I kind of already knew that, it was more just for the title, but thanks for clearing that up :)

I guess your schooling is paying off already!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note though...most "stomach flu" is norovirus or rotovirus. Bacterial is much less common, usually reserved for "food poisoning" salmonella, cholera, dysentery...etc. :)

Anonymous said...

well we were taught in my medical microbiology that the norovirus and rotovirus are most common in massive outbreaks of stomach flu (like when a whole shipload of people get it) but most commonly vomiting and diarrhea are bacterial spread through fecal contamination from normal flora entering a site that it's not suppose to be...NOT food poisoning just misplacement of a normal bug. :P

BoneDaddy said...

Sounds like the same thing being said, only one's the long version and one's the short.

Penny said...

So after all that infromation is Aiden and Kevin feeling better? I sure hope so.

Mrs S said...

I hope your all feeling better, it sucks that it got you all.

Karissa (mommy) said...

Dito what Amber said. I hope you guys have a sick free weekend. ;)