Thursday, August 24, 2006

Mr. Mckicky Pants

There is another human being kicking me from the insides... sitting right next to all my important bits and pieces of my body that make me run and live.. and there he is kicking away like nothin' else matters. A little creepy, but the most awesome feeling in the whole entire world.
There's like another person inside with arms and legs and a little heart and little face... and he's just hangin' out while I work and eat and play cards with friends... there he is, content with just hangin' out there kickin' and punching and who can blame him really... he doesn't have anything else to do. And yes, I know its only going to get worse... harder kicks, bigger baby... yada yada yada... which brings me to my next point...

You know what question I hate. "How do you feel today?" or "How are you feeling" (more generalized) because I am required to say "great, thanks" because if I don't say great... if I tell the truth like "oh I'm a little tired or cranky, or crampy or my feet hurt or my ankles are swollen" or anything else I ALWAYS get the response "well thats nothin' wait a couple of months then you'll REALLY know what tired feels like" or "you think you're tired now, wait till the baby is born and you get 3 hours of sleep a night" or "Thats nothin' when I was pregnant... *insert personal 'i could care less' story here*"

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind advise or little stories that I can relate too. Its my first baby, I don't know everything and am interested in hearing some peoples stories. But please don't think i'm naive to the fact that its only going to get worse. I knew all this crap when I decided to get pregnant. I knew my ankles would get huge, I knew I would be tired, I knew I'd gain weight and I knew the whole pregnancy/birth process would hurt in many different ways. So when you ask "how are you feeling" and I say "tired"--- just say "thats too bad" and that'll pretty much be the conversation we were both looking for.

*end rant here*

Kevin still isn't %100 recovered from his accident in June. He has headaches everyday. I want to hunt down every red SUV registered in MN and find the guy that caused this accident and scream in his ear and pound him in the head a couple times and cause him pain...like he has done to Kevin. Eye for an eye. Kevin had a catscan yesterday and they still haven't found anything-he sees a neurologist soon, and hopefully someone can tell us what he can do so he won't have headaches anymore.

School started today for most of the state. Amanda, Blake, and any other student I know: Good luck with this semester!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

BoneDaddy said...

I'm going to go ahead and break that little statement about "3 hours of sleep a night".
3 hours of sleep a night would be extremely dangerous to care for a child on, and if every parent really were only getting that much sleep a night for let's say only a month, then not only would we be seeing hundreds of really, REALLY cranky and short tempered people (big surprise, they probably already sleep at our motels), but we'd be seeing more cars wrapped around telephone poles, or smashed into other cars. We'd also hear a lot more about high incidents of suicides, probably some weird neurological disorders, and all sorts of tragic baby mishaps due to overtired parents. And I'm only talking about in Grand Forks, let alone the entire state or country.
So I really doubt these parents have only had 3 hours of sleep for an extended period of time.
I've known sleep deprivation before Isabella, and I've known it during. It doesn't vary much, except that sometimes with her I (and KArissa) am forced to stay up or go to bed at different times.
Other than her colic, she slept fine. So, April, I'll give you a better statement--Just wait til baby comes, and you might experience nights of slightly less sleep that will discomfort you every now and then. You can tell that to those "tired" parents.

Janelle said...

Doug is right. Babies sleep a lot right away in the first few months. In those months you and Kevin will be able to work out some schedule that works for you two or you will have a some kind of routine. It's not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. When this girls were born, I slept when they did. I let all the house work, cooking, and laundry go. If anyone came to my place and made complaints of how the house looked because I was getting my sleep, I told them that they could help me out by doing the dishes, making (or bringing over) a meal, or wash a load of clothes for me.

BoneDaddy said...

Good call. If your guests bitch, put 'em to work.

Liz said...

I have to admit I've said every cliche thing, too, but it was said to me, so I consider it payback...you'll get your chance!!

With the sleep, here's an example of what Emily did. Her long stretch of 5-6 hrs that most babies have from day 1 fell from 4a.m.-9 or 10a.m. Not ideal, but not quite bad enough to call it switched day/night. And when she started sleeping through the night, it scares you at first! I think I actually got a little sad because that part of her life was over. (i wasn't sad too long, though...duh!:-D)

Glad the baby's doing the Boogie Woogie in your belly!