Friday, October 28, 2005

U 2 WHO?

So my bosses daughter Alexis, a bubbly 17 year old blond socialite, has dicovered the wonders of Kazaa. So, she has downloaded a lot of music onto the computer at work. Mostly country... ew, I digress, last weekend she went to a Brad Paisley concert, and now she's hooked on concert going. She was looking on TicketMaster and saw that U2 was coming to Minneapolis soon. "Who is U2?" she asks. I about shit my pants. I don't particularily care for U2 myself... but come on... is todays youth so brainwashed with songs like "milkshake and lumps (or whatever that stupid B.E.P. song is...) that they don't even get to KNOW who U2 is?!

When I was in high school, we weren't allowed to "dirty dance" IE: touch eachother anywhere except shoulders and hips for slow dancing only. Now they're bumpin' and grindin' and rubbin' and its like a regular night club for these kids. WOW... HOLD IT... did I just get old... just now... I think I'm getting a wrinkle... oh god.

On a different topic... in the Daily Journal today, I read that there is an organization running this thing called "the Christmas Box" where you get a shoe box and fill it with things for Children in 3rd world countries. They suggest things like soap, toiletries, washclothes, toys that make noise and move around (with extra batteries of course), pens, pencils, solar power calculators... etc.. but they causion to leave out parishable food items, war-like toys like GI joes, squirt guns, you can't put any liquids like perfume, body wash, candels, you get the point. The thing they say to begin your box with is a prayer (and they list a special bible quote to put in there)

okay, the concept of giving to needy children, a plus. Sending these gifts on a holiday most of them don't believe in... minus. Excluding any non-Christians from GIVING the boxes... hm.. MINUS!!

I'm all for Missionaries... they help a lot. and I'm Catholic... so.. you know.. yay God, but I don't think they really thought this whole Christmas giving thing through too well.... What do you think?

I guess that is one way to get LOTS of people to give to the poor, but still something about it seemed funny to me.

4 comments:

Karissa (mommy) said...

haha...wrinkle...haha

I agree with you on the whole christmas gift giving thing. big surprise huh? anyways, they probably will get tons of donations of stuff since there are lots of christians, so it's probably not the worst thing. i just wonder if someone like me donated and didn't put a prayer or anything in it if they'd refuse it. hmmmm, probably not, they'd probably just add their own prayer to the box. :)

Mr. Toast said...

Even though I'm not a huge U2 fan, I do like a few of their songs. When I visited Berlin a few years ago, I rode the U-Bahn to Potsdamer Platz and thought it would be so cool to have a picture of me standing next to the "U2" sign. Alas, there was nobody else there to take it. :^(

KSoFM said...

i hate U2 and am the only person on the planet who dislikes Bono. I know who they are, though.

Karissa (mommy) said...

I hate U2 also, but I am surprised there's someone who's alive that doesn't know who they are. I'm pretty sure even Isabella knows who they are, unfortunately.