Thursday, June 30, 2005

Highway accident

Yesterday when I was driving home to DL, I was approaching the small town of Lakota when I noticed that the road was completely blocked... by a semi truck. So they were directing around through the service road for the town. As I pulled around, I saw that half the semi was in the ditch, and in front of it was another vehicle. I can't tell you what kind of vehicle because it was completely smashed up... and teetering on its hood and drivers side. There was a rescue guy trying to pry open the passenger side, and while I was driving around he popped the door open more and started pulling someone out. This person was limp and bloody. There was no ambulance there yet, and no cop cars either, I'm assuming I came across the accedent very shortly after it happened. I couldn't figure out how that may have happened because the truck and the other vehicle were positioned on the highway like they were both going East on the West bound side. Oddly enough the first thing I thought was "would it be wrong of me to stop and take pictures?" I decided it would be wrong and kept driving. I entered back on the highway and as I drove West away from the accident I saw four police cars racing East with their sirens and lights going, then shortly after that the ambulance shot down the highway.

I watched the news last night and found out both the driver and the passenger were dead on the scene. The semi driver was fine. I guess the black Ford Truck (I think thats what they said) entered onto the highway without looking and SMUCK! right into the semi... hitting the passenger side and making both vehicles spin and go into the ditch. wow.... wear your seatbelts and look both ways!

2 comments:

Janelle said...

If I would have witnessed what you did and then later found out I saw a dead guy being pulled out of a car, that would totally creep me out. Did you feel weird after finding that out. But then, this is coming from someone who walks down the center isle of rows in a cemetary because I can't bear to think about stepping on top of a dead person. That tweeks me out too.

Penny said...

April, Dad and I work with someone who was related to the two people that died. Kerry, she has worked at the school at least 15 years. It was her sister and beother-in-law. That must have been creepy for you.