Tuesday, February 08, 2005

ODE TO MY DADDY

So I don't know WHY I thought of my dad... but I did. Don't worry Mom and Alicia, I love you guys too, and you will get a post all your own soon... My dad's name is Dwight Gary Keck. He is 6'7" and used to be a hippie with long blond hair. He works very hard at the School for the Deaf and he is the Plant Director. He's worked there for like a gazillion years.. (25 I think) Don't think about it lady's... he's still married to my mom. Sorry for the disappointment.

WHY I LOVE MY DAD
Growing up, he used to play with me. He played with me at the lake in the water, he tickle torchered me until I screamed (not cool at the time, but makes for some good memories) He would take us snowmobiling, and took me for rides on his motorcycle when he had one.

He makes the best peanut butter toast. I don't know why, but when he made it, it was always better.

Many of my friends have said how much they like my parents. So yay for them, they are the "cool" parents. They feel comfortable around him

My dad can be SOOOO silly. He makes me laugh all the time. He makes stupid jokes, and when he tells stories about his day, he even uses funny voices and makes funny faces (it is really comedic coming from a 50 year old man)

When I became an adult, he has never really told me NOT to do something, or to DO it... I chose and prepare for the consequence of my decision.

He calls me and leaves me messages saying "just thinking about you and wanted to know what you're up to" how cute is THAT!

His wallpaper on his cell phone is a pic of me and my sister.

I've never seen him treat my mom without respect. They are the only parents I know that don't fight in front of their kids... in fact I can't think of a single time when they fought in front of me... hm.. never thought of that before.

THINGS I'VE LEARNED FROM MY DAD
I've learned that I have to make my own mistakes and learn from them.

Shit happens--- and you just have to deal with it sometimes :)

You have to laugh at your own stupidity sometimes

don't wear too many baseball caps... you'll go bald. (I kid because I love)

Don't lean too far to the right or left on a tube while the boat is going 50 mph... you'll flip over... hard.

I've learned more, but I can't think of them right now. So anyway, that is my dad. I LOVE YOU DAD!!!!

What Makes A Dad

God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,
Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so, He called it ... "DAD!"

...Author Unknown




2 comments:

Josie, group organizer said...

That was really sweet.

Penny said...

April that was very nice. It will probably put a tear in your Dad's eye. Just to set the record straight yes we do have our dissagreements, we just don't do it loudly, and most of the time we compremise or agree to disagree. Why? cuz that's what being married is all about. Love you too. Mom