Monday, January 24, 2005

music and memories

I can see why there are so many oldies radio stations. I was sifting through our collection of MP3's and listening to some stuff I used to listen to in high school and realized I still really like these songs and a lot of them are tied to memories of my friends and family and summers at the lake and proms and dances and car trips and different groups of people I've met. I still know every word. When the Oldies stations start playing the music I listened to when I was younger and now, I'll appreciate it a lot. So I get how people my parents age relate to the music they play now. Its sad that the music that is on the charts today is all pretty much the same. Is it me, or does it seem like there was more variety 5 years ago. The bands (and I stress the actual word BAND with real instroments and vocals without stupid sound effects)all sounded different and had different "feelings" The songs were all about different life experiences, today they are all about getting wasted, wanting sex, or how much their lives suck because of a relationship gone wrong. I mean that is what most songs are about anyway, but before they would have to be poetic about it all, now because of weak cencorship they can just flat out say bluntly (and disgustingly sometimes) what they want to say. You don't have to think about the lyrics. It is sad. Most of the music comming out today is rap and hip hop (and way too many "featuring" so and so because we are not talented enough individually to make it) which is okay sometimes because every now and then a good song will come out, and they make the bar scene a whole lot more interesting and fun because they are all good to dance to, but that is about it. So right now I'm listening to NIN before that I was listening to the Cranberries and a little Smashing Pumpkins and before that it was Metallica. Which all remind me of Doug, Amadon and Kevin. I think this all came from Amadon's last post on my blog.

Amadon and Josie, and McCloud (sp?) came to town tonight but I'm just too tired (and cranky) to be around anyone tonight so I kind of just hung out at home , I was supposed to have tomrrow off, but Jan conned me into working. Now I don't have a day off from working one job or the other until Sunday. Kevin came home Sat. and left Sunday, I saw him alone for maybe 2 hours (not counting sleeping) because I was working but I'll take what I can get. I can't really complain though, the money will be good and Its not like I do manual labor for 8 hours.

Kevin has like 6 weeks left with his clinical. It is REALLY weird not to have him home. It is nice to just go do something without telling him, or doing stuff that I don't always get to do when he is home (like watch sappy movies and load my popcorn with Cajun seasoning, the little stuff like that) But I'm bored more, but work more too. okay, I'm really tired, I'm nodding off WHILE I'm writing this... time to go to bed..... enough ranting for tonight.

3 comments:

Karissa (mommy) said...

I know what you mean about the music. I'm so sick of bands that talk about being outcasts and how their lives suck. I'm sick of "nerd" bands. I'm sick of rappers hooking up with punk bands (Jay-Z and Linkin Park & Ludacris and Sum 41). I'm not a music expert or anything, but seriously what the point of making shitty music? I'm also sick of all rap videos being the exact same. I have nothing against videos with half naked chicks and guys showing off all their bling and nice cars, but when every single rapper does it I get annoyed. Is it really that bad in the music industry where nobody can come up with something new?? I wish for the days of Guns 'N Roses again.

Mrs S said...

I know what you mean I just got out of high school and already the music I listened to when I was even a sophmore is completly different than whats out now.

Josie, group organizer said...

When the music industry comes out with hit stars from American Idol you know something's wrong. Whatever happend to smashing pumpkins, No Doubt, or even other bands like Garbage, Nirvana, NIN, etc?? They had great creativity and artistry. Now it's like a cookie cutter one hit wonder. I want a band, not some hit song!!!