Saturday, March 03, 2007

Bravest little baby boy in the world.

Well, we brought Aiden to the doctor yesterday because he was coughing so hard that he was throwing up his entire feedings, and he hadn't kept a single feeding down all day, and I was worried he would get dehydrated. Good thing we brought him in because he was diognosed with RSV.

So here's a bitch slap to the idiot doctor I saw two weeks ago when Aiden STARTED having symptoms and he told me I was being "overly cautious" because I was a new mom. Screw you Dr. Idiot. I waited a little longer to bring him in to the doctor because I was worried they were going to think I was being paranoid and bringing him in for a little cold. Dr. Idiot made me feel like I was reading too much into it and here I was right all along, he WAS sick, and it got serious.... so serious that Aiden is in the hospital now.

He was admitted yesterday afternoon, and will hopefully be getting out tomorrow. They have him hooked up to all the nasty monitoring thingies and he has an IV. He doesn't HAVE to eat with the IV in, but he still gets hungry so we have been feeding him, but he has been throwing up every feeding. We switched to pedialyte and the last feeding stayed down. He gets Nebulizer treatments from a respratory therapist every 4 hours, and his cough is getting looser and his breathing is getting less stressed. He was having such a hard time breathing, that he was sucking in his tummy to help him breathe. He wasn't put on oxygen like they were first thinking, so thats a good thing, hopefully he can stay off the oxygen.

He seems to be doing a little better tonight. I stayed with him last night in the hospital and Kevin is with him tonight. I have a feeling they're going to keep him another day just because he is still sucking in his tummy and having a little trouble keeping formula down, but I guess we'll see. He's behaving okay though, all the nurses are getting smiles when they come in, so he's keeping his spirits up for the most part (between crying fits that is...) So much to go through in his 2 months of life so far.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

Don't beat yourself up over Dr. Idiot. I was paranoid with Cassidy when she was a newborn but every single time I thought something was wrong I took her to the clinic and every time we went, she had an ear infection.

You are a first time mother but nobody knows your child better than you. If you think that there may be something wrong with Adien, there probably is. It is your mother's instinct kicking in. Next time you think something is up, press the doctor into studying Aiden a little more closely.

Before the doctor checked Cassidy over the first couple of times I was told that I could be being overly protective because I was a first time mother. That kind of hurt my feelings. I will not sit there and have a doctor who doesn't live with my child tell me if they are sick or not before examination.

Dr. Idiot was a dork and should have took a precausionary measure by putting him on at least a 3 day antibiotic. I know doctors don't like to do that, but since he was a premee, his early delivery should have thrown up a red flag since premees can develope RSV for no reason.

Adien is in our thoughts and prays! Keep your chin up, you are doing WONDERFUL!!

Janelle said...

I know that Aiden WAS NOT premature, he just had an abnormally low birth weight and problems in the beginning...i.e. inhilation of meconium, pneumonia...I just wanted to make that clear. Sorry for calling him a premee when he wasn't.

KSoFM said...

you know, it sounds like you might have a medical malpractice claim on your hands. i'm not one to be overly litigious, and think malpractice claims drive up the cost of medical benefits and healthcare in general, but this could've been serious.

you should speak with an attorney, most will give you a free consultation to discuss the merits of a possible claim. it can't hurt, and could help another child this doctor misdiagnosis.