Friday, February 02, 2007

Whats new with us you ask?

Well Aiden is 6 weeks old tomorrow! I can't believe it! Sometimes if feels a LOT longer and sometimes it feels like only 2 weeks!

I've been trying to post pictures but it took me FOREVER to figure out that Hello no longer works with Blogger, damn the new version (I'm a REBEL!) So now I have to ad pictures from the blogger dashboard, and we all know how frustrating THAT can be! I'll work on posting new Aiden pics, and Doug's birthday pics. But here's something to read first....

Its been a long two or three weeks! Kevin's mom came and stayed with us two weeks ago and really helped out. She took the night shift with Aiden so a very tired mommy and daddy could get some rest. He was being very very fussy and I noticed that he had a very hard time with gas and he would scream and scream and scream and bunch into a sad little baby ball and then dart his legs out and push and scream and push... and I know gas is normal for babies, but something just wasn't right, plus, his diapers were ALWAYS explosive nasty ones, anyway, being the conserned (anxiety ridden) first time mom that I am, I brought him into the doctor and this is what she said.

He has an allergy to Cow's milk Protien.

meaning that I had to be put on a non-dairy diet for one week to see how his tummy would react. Although we didn't see a BIG impovement, there was improvement. He slept better, and he didn't scream as much. Now, this meant that A.) I could continue a non dairy diet for the next 6 months while breastfeeding or B.) He could be put on a formula.

We oppted for B. I feel kind of bad... okay pretty darn guilty... for not trying to stick with the non dairy diet, but it was really hard, and if I'm on a dairy free diet, Kevin would kind of have to be too, because whats the sense in cooking two different meals? Plus, pumping just isn't feeling that great anymore (do I hear ya ladies?) and since I start work next week, breastfeeding isn't really an option.... so formula it is.

Thing is, it is a special kind of formula... a very expensive kind too. So I feel even MORE guilty for giving up on the non dairy breastmilk.

So we started him on formula, but he still SCREAMED BLOODY MURDER after eating. We're talking SCREAMING... LOUDLY... FOR HOURS! although it wasn't his tummy that seemed to be bothering him. SO I brought him into the doctor's again.

She said he has Acid Reflux. So she gave us Zantac. He also has an eye infection, and a hernia. But the hernia is normal, and the eye infection is already going away with the ointment she gave us. He still screams after he eats, but not as long. He is spitting up more with the formula and I feel really bad for him. He swallows a lot and he doens't like to eat because it hurts. Hopefully the Zantac will start working better, if not, I don't know what we're going to do. If he isn't sleeping (which he doesn't like to do either. Night OR Daytime) he is crying. There isn't much time of him just being calm. He wakes up often when we lay him down (like every 30 minutes most of the time) and we are very lucky when we can get him to sleep in 2 hour chunks.

Karissa has been a HUGE help and has come over with Isabella a coupla times to sit with Aiden while I sleep or do whatever.

We went to DL for Doug's Golden Birthday! It was a BLAST. It was nice to get out and about with adults and have fun. My mom and Alicia watched Aiden. THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS!

So that has been our last couple of weeks. Crazy, but we're hanging in there.

4 comments:

Penny said...

Sounds like he is giving you a real bad time. Did the Dr. say why she thinks it's allergies?
I'm so glad to see pictures. He always looks so sweet and happy in his pictures.
What's going on with the job thing have you been able to talk to Jan?

Karissa (mommy) said...

I LOVE watching Aiden for you. Never hesitate to call me...ever. ;)

Penny said...

April you realy don't have to feel guilty you gave it your best shot and he got the first few weeks, which is the best. Since your going back to work anyway it makes sense, you will be able to get more sleep because you won't have to pump all the time. So how does he like the milk?

Anonymous said...

April... He is sooooooo cute...Sounds like you ought to take a look at filtering your water with a NIKKEN water system. And a pet pad for Aiden to sleep on. Something to think about. He is too little to have to put up with all that stuff. And you know medicine is not good for babies. Hope he does not have to take too much stuff. The water mixed in his formula may help big time and it sure would not hurt you and Kevin either. The pet pad may help him sleep and it could help the pain.
If you decide you want to take a look just give me a call. I would even take a drive up to talk with you if you need.
Good luck back at work. You certainly have your challenges ahead of you.. All good... Love you Carol K