Thursday, May 11, 2006

Does anyone remember...

Mr. Toast http://windinthewire.blogspot.com/ wrote about the new Coke Blak. He also had a post about his favorite toy (or object of his affection) when he was younger... so the two topics combined made me think of different foods I remember from when I was younger (yeah, there is a connection there, just dig deep people)

Do you remember OK soda? It was kind of the trash can of the coke products... where they dumped all the left over flavors like coke, orange, sprite, Mellow Yellow.. so on. Well there was this 1-800 number you could call and listen to recordings about how OK soda made their day "OK" or something like that. and you could tell your own OK stories.

I also remember having after school snacks. I used to melt chocolate chips and mix it with peanut butter and dip crackers in it... not healthy, I know, but my mom worked nights and slept during the day until about 4. What else was I supposed to eat while I watched Saved by the Bell?

Whatever happened to Clear Pepsi?

Do they still make Jolt? I remember once, my dad bought me a bottle from a gas station once, and I thought it was a HUGE deal, and I thought my dad was WAY cool for letting me drink it because of all the caffeine it had in it.

Do you remember the 7up gum, filled with "7up" but really it was just a really sweet gooey filling. THey had Dr. Pepper gum too.

There are many candies that they still sell that I don't think I've had for a LONG time. Taffy (the ones in a square that had riddles inside the wrapper) Bazooka gum, pixie stix, Pop Rock candy, candy ciggarettes (yeah I know they don't sell those anymore, but I used to get them all the time) penny candy, hot tomales, nerds, and gobstoppers. Gobstoppers where the "it" candy in middle school I remember eating them after gym class in 8th grade.

Some candy I still eat is Gummy Worms. I love those things, I don't know why.

Has anyone had chocolate covered potato chips? They are the BEST! There is a local candy store in GF (Family owned for YEARS AND YEARS) and they sell them. I love um'! If you've never had them, find some, they're terrific!

Growing up, I used to buy Watchamacallits or however they spell that. But now that I'm older, I eat Kit Kats... I have a horrible sweet tooth, thanks to my MOTHER! I've always been a sucker for anything with chocolate and peanut butter. Anyone else think of candies from their past?

11 comments:

Liz said...

April, I'm a little concerned. Is this blog about cravings?!?!? j/k :-p

Never heard of 7-up or Dr. Pepper gum.

April said...

what?! Oh it was the best gum EVER! I'm sure it is responsible for my 3 cavities before I was 12, but whatever.

Penny said...

What do you mean because of your Mother you have a sweet tooth. I think the love of sweets just comes natural. Keep me out of that one! Yeah I love my chocolate BUT I also love liver and you don't.
Hey wouldn't it be funny if you started to crave that!!! HAHAHAHAHAH

BoneDaddy said...

I remember alll that stuff. I used to drink OK Soda purely because I liked the commercials. I used to drink clear Pepsi all the time, too. They still make Jolt, it's just got competition now. I never had 7up gum, I don't think, but I've had Dr. Pepper gum, and liked it just because of the gooey stuff. You can actually still buy candy cigarettes in places, but I think most stores have pulled them--I know I've seen them around here and there. I used to eat Whatchamacallits in grade school, and I was engrossed by their commercial, too--it was this weird collage of animated sequences incorporated into the making of a Whatchamacallit. I still hate chocolate covered potato chips. The PA's that are staying with us also apparently have a sweet tooth, and leave candy in a bucket outside some of their doors for other to take--particularily Kit-Kats and my all-time favorite, Snickers.

Karissa (mommy) said...

I used to love this stuff that was basically juice but came in little wax sticks. I don't remember what they were called, but you bit off the end, drank the juice, and then you could chew on the wax. Loved them! I think they actually might make something like that still, but I've never really looked.

I also strongly dislike chocolate covered potato chips.

Karissa (mommy) said...

what?! why do you associate it with me? i remember buying some at state speech one year, but otherwise i don't have any memories of it really.

Mr. Toast said...

I never heard of OK soda. Apparently you guys in ND were lucky, because according to this, Fargo was one of only a handful of markets where it was tested in 1994.

Anybody ever try a Moxie? It was popular many years ago and you can still get it in New England where it has a bit of a cult following.

Mrs S said...

Yea wow, I've never heard of half of this stuff but, as far as chocolate covered potato chips I love windmans chippers, they even have peanut butter ones that are sooooooo good. But I only like the ones from windmans I've never liked them from anywhere else.

And Surge was the major thing that everyone through fits about when I was in middle school. And I drank that crap until I had a stomach ache.

And they still sell candy cigarettes its just they call them something else like candy sticks now. I still see them in gas stations every once in awhile when I'm looking for taffy which I get a craving for every now and then just because I used to eat it when i was little.

Mr. Toast said...

One other thing your post made me think of that I loved eating as a kid were Drake's cakes -- especially Devil Dogs. Do you guys have those up there? I've only seen them here briefly, and then they disappeared, some kind of regional distribution deal I guess. Another thing we can't get in Texas are New England-style hot dog buns, that have soft sides and are sliced vertically instead of horizontally. I loved to butter the outsides and grill 'em.

April said...

I've never heard of those things Mr. Toast, the England Style hot dog buns sound interesting though, I'm don't get the cutting it vertically thing, I just can't picture that...

Mr. Toast said...

Hmmm... how to describe this? OK: imagine a loaf of unsliced white bread. Now cut the loaf into very thick (2") slices. Now take each one of these pieces, stand it up, and cut a final slice half-way down through the middle. What you have are soft sides with the crust around the outside. Butter the two sides and grill them till brown, then pop the dog into the partial slice in the middle. You've just had a New-England style hot dog bun. In lieu of the hot dog, we also used to put lobster or crab salad, or my favorite -- fried clams. Ask for a clam roll down here and people look at you like you're out of your mind.

PS: found a picture here.