Friday, June 24, 2005

Mother Nature Hates Me...

Today I had lunch with Kevin. It was a beautiful day here. almost 100 degrees. As I was walking from the coffeeshop where we met for lunch to go shopping, the sun was shining, it was hot, but it felt good. I bought two skirts and they were on sale! I was having a beautiful day. The sun was putting me in a pretty good mood. I decided that I don't really like the idea that my job is so spiratic. I don't like that fact that every time I plan something, work ends up ruining it. I hate working holidays, so i thought to myself "self, you need to find a job that REQUIRES you to have weekends and holidays off, you need a federal job" So with that thought in mind I drove myself to the post office. I found out that they are having a workshop tomorrow for people interested in being postal workers. Its perfect! So, with brochure in hand, I walk out to my car (wearing my new sale skirt). I'm havin' a pretty darn good day thus far and I figure it is a beautiful day to go to the lake and just hang and read and relax. So I decided to quickly run to get my new license and head out to the lake. I get to the DMV... closed. Yup, 100% CLOSED. ON A THURSDAY, how completely RANDOM is that! I obviously need to work for the DMV being they have all weekend AND every thursday off... but then I'm just annoyed. I did my hair and made myself look cute so I'd be ready for the damn mug-shot they were going to have to take of me and all that for nothing. SO I threw my hair up in a pony (it was still 100 degrees and humid) and marched on over next door to the hotel where Tab works to see what she's up to, perhaps she would like to go to the lake after she gets off work?! I walk in the door and look to the west and think "looks like we're gonna get some rain, it's looking rather dark over there" Not five minutes later, whaddyaknow, it's pouring out side. The wind picked up very quickly. The next thing I knew, the power was surging, and hail was POUNDING on the building. The windows were shaking, and the radio said the temp had dropped from close to 100 to 65 in 15 minutes! That only means one thing... TORNATO! And sure enough, there was a tornato 3 miles from where we were. Luckily, it wasn't IN town, but we got some really fierce winds! The clouds were soooo dark, and the rain was whipping around so hard, you couldn't see out the windo at all for a good 5 minutes. I called Kevin to see where he was and he had high-tailed it home so he could be safe in the basement instead of in some clinic sucking up to some doctor (he needs to shmooze doctors to get referrals sent to him for PT) Anyway, I wasn't happy by this point. No lake, no mroe skirt for the day, no new drivers licese. So when the wind calmed down a little I drove (quite quickly for a non-licensed driver) home. Trees where down all over town, there were live cables down, and the cops where all over. But I got home, and the sun came out (even though we were still under a tornato warning!) I called Tab and made a dinner date thinking that this darn weather is NOT going to RUIN my day off! Then my phone rings...

Its work. Sonya's mom died and they were wondering if I could come in and work for a while. It was 4:30. I told them I'd come in AFTER my planned dinner date. So, I went into work at 5:30 and worked till 11. The ND school for the Deaf is having an ALL class reunion this weekend. Luckily both my parents work at the Deaf School so I konw how to sign which made the night go by MUCH smoother than it could have with another employee. The Manager asked if I could work tomorrow morning, I said I'd prefer to work the night shift (so I can make that Post Office workshop tomorrow AM) and he didn't have a prob. with that. I'm gonna get so much overtime this week!

But still, now I dont' have a day off until Tuesday and I've worked every day since last tuesday Thats ANOTHER 7 days in a row. and don't you know it, the skies cleared up and it got beautiful out again once I got to work! No lake for me for a while! That is my story on WHY I think Mother Nature Hates Me. Hope you enjoyed my story. I've had a pretty long day.

4 comments:

KSoFM said...

Prarie dogs, tornatos? you live in a dangerous place. the wild west, right? no? i saw a cop chasing a man down the street today after he was caught trying to steal a bike. that's all i have to offer from this side o' the country.

Janelle said...

Oh Lordy! When God want's you to have a bad day he doesn't piss around does he!?!

April said...

Did the cop beat him down with the night stick!!?? That would make it way exciting! North Dakota is, surprisingly, one of the top states with Meth crimes. Yeah, thats great. Everyone knows SOMEONE that makes meth. Like my cousin... yeah that was great.

Penny said...

April your cosin dosen't make meth,
He just hangs out with the wrong people sometimes. I hope he gets his head on right before it's too late. Anyway did you happen to drive out by the School for the Deaf after that wind/tornato storm? Well just for your information there were a whole bunch of large & small tree branches all over campus. One large one came down on these two vans that belong to Early Head Start. Yeah they had just parked them there earlier that day. The reason I bring this up is because I was one of the lucky ones that got to walk around and pick them up! What fun huh? Hope you are feeling better tonight. Mom