Wednesday, March 16, 2005

My week thus far...

My grandpa's funeral was really nice. My Dad and Aunt picked out a casket that was PERFECT for him. It has trees on it. The picture that is on the inside of the lid on the satin was a scenic view of trees. It looks just like what "THe Point" looks like when you're looking at it from the middle of WoodLake. The Point is the property that our lake cabin sits on. There was also trees engraved on the side and plated in gold (probably not real gold). It was very nice. My Granpa served in the Military so he recieved Military Honors at the burial. The flag was taken off the casket and presented to my dad and they soluted him. A lone trumpet player played Taps and there was a 21 shot solute (or whatever you call that) actually it was only 12 cause some of the shots didn't fire. The funeral director gathered the shell casings and gave them to the grandchildren. He said a lot of times, people plate the shell with brass or gold and have it engraved, so I think that is what I'm going to do. I saw people I haven't seen in a long time, people I didn't really know well anyway, but got reaquainted with. My mom placed photos of my grandpa on poster board and that was displayed for people to see.

It was a really beautiful funeral, I don't think I would have changed anything.

Back to things that don't make me sad... Kevin and I looked at that cute little house that I posted a pic of. It is pretty small, but definately has other atributes that make it worth seriously considering. It has NEW washer and Dryer, NEW stove, NEW carpet, NEW kitchen cabinets, NEW bathtub, shower and toilet. It has a basement that isn't finished, but nice and neat and clean looking. There isn't a garage, but there is a shed in back with a riding lawnmower that he said he'll keep in there for the residents' to use on the yard. THere is 1 3/4 bedroom. The master bedroom isn't very large, but we don't really NEED a BIG bedroom I guess. Then the other room is more of a den, or computer room. The Kitchen is small, but works well with the layout. no more than one person in that kitchen at one time thats FOR SURE! There isn't room for a dining room table, but Kevin and I never eat on the table we have now anyway! So the only con really is that it is small. No smaller than the apt we live in now though. I guess we may wait to see what else comes available.

Because I was gone Monday for the funeral, I don't have a day off for another 7 days. Which isn't that bad, but throw the weekend in there and my nerves might be shot come Monday. Tonight I'm going to buy some cheezy things to wear for ST. Patrick's day tomorrow. I mean, if I gotta be at work, no reason it can't be fun!
We're also going to pick up Kevin's Robe and Hood for Graduation. FINALLY after 8 YEARS of school, he'll be a DOCTOR OF PHYSICAL THERAPY! He soooo deserves it! And he is in the top percentage in his class too, so I have DOUBLE bragging rights! Kind of funny though that UND's official colors are green and PINK, Kevin's hood and robe have big PINK trim... way to be a MAN! I kid because I love...

Well, that is how my week is going thus far. I'm looking forward to Spring. We're supposed to get a HUMUNGUS (I've never spelled that out before..hm) snow storm. The whold state is in a Winter Storm Advisory. They say it is going to be the biggest storm of the season... great considering the season is almost OVER! But for today, it is pretty nice.. the calm before the storm I'm sure. better stock up on Water, TP, and canned foods, I might be here awhile. Okay, that may have been an exahgeration, but seriously, I hate winter.

HAVE A SUPER-D-DUPER DAY!!!

2 comments:

Mrs S said...

I'm really glad your grandpas funeral went well, those are always really hard no matter how happy you are that they don't have to suffer anymore. It sounded really beautful though.

Congrats to Kevin espeacially on the Pink, now thats cool lol. All those manly men lol wearing their lovely pink trim.

Penny said...

April
I thought I would let you know your application was dilivered today Friday morning as you requested.