Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What a F#%*ed up day!

Sorry for the language, but my gosh, what a day I've had! Of course, I"ll write in semi-Cliff's notes so you don't get zombie eyes from staring at the computer screen too long reading my post...

8:00am: I'm at work, one hour into my shift, I'm stocking the coffee bar area. A gentleman comes up to me "excuse me, Miss, there is a lady out by the end entrance and shes bleeding, she needs help!" So we both run down the hall and I see this lady slumped against the building outside. As I walked toward the door, I see blood smeared on the glass, I open the door and see lots of blood. I bent down and asked her what happened, she says she fell and really hurt her arm. Her coat and glove are soaked in blood. I told the guy to dial 911. She said she was in room blah blah blah and her sister was in that room so I should go get her. So I did while the guy stayed with her. I was gone 2 minutes and when I got back, the guy was gone... whatever. The lady's sister came out in her nighty and bare feet. She sees her sister, realizes how serious it is, and goes back to the room to put clothes on so she can go with her to the hospital. So this woman (who is a RN) is staying remarkably calm...while she says "I'm losing too much blood, I feel like I'm going to pass out" So I keep talking to her as I rubbed her back, and she leaned against me and I'm thinking this ambulance is taking too long (even though it was only like 3-5 minutes it felt longer) so they come, cut off the sleeve of her coat... and I couldn't see everything but she had a compound fracture, her bone obviously broke through her skin. I stepped away, because, I'm can take blood okay, but not that much and not when my heart was already beating a million miles a minute and I was already shaking cause it was scary. Anyway, she got to the hospital, had to have surgery, and Jan talked to her and she was doing okay. She was really really lucky, the artery didn't break, it just stretched, otherwise she could have been A LOT worse off... and her nerves are okay I guess. Phew. And as far as we can tell, its not the hotels fault or anything, it looks like she just tripped up the curb and fell way wrong.

Okay... so I go back to breakfast and by this time, its time to start cleaning up. This lady comes down and asks if its okay is she can make a waffle. This usually makes me mad because, c'mon people... anyway, I'm okay with it because she's really nice. She sits in the corner and answers her cell phone while she's eating. As she's talking (kind of loud actually) I hear that her voice is starting to quiver, and then it turns into sobbing "I just miss home! I'm feel like crap, I look like crap...." more and more and more. She's crying all a lone. I'm thinking "what the hell do I do" So I ignored her and kept wiping tables like nothing was going on. Just me and a crying woman in the corner. Hm...but then she left, and I've never felt so cold hearted. I mean, its only human to reach out to people and comfort them when they're crying, but a total stranger I overheard on her cell?

THEN.... after I was done cleaning I was doing stuff at the desk, and this guy came in. He told me he was just waiting for someone. Then, of course, he had to tell me who, and why.... him and his buddy, who got totally wasted last night and are hungover today, are being deployed back to Iraq for the 3rd time and they leave today to get there tomorrow evening. He's leaving his 4 year old twins, who he was away from for the first year of their life because he was in Italy. He is a Col. in the Army. ALthough he was interesting, and I enjoyed his stories, he kept talkiing, and talking, and talking... about eveything WAR.... and man, this guy is all about blowing up the entire middle east to just end it all. he's all about the war and he is US military to the core... great, but I have a till to count, laundry to do, papers to do, things to email and fax.... then he gets on his phone and on the top of his lungs starts screaming at the poor PFC on the other side. "DO YOU KNOW WHO THE F*$! I AM!! YOU NAME DROP MY NAME RIGHT NOW TO THE Mother F*$!er SITTING ACROSS FROM YOU SO SHIT GETS DONE AROUND THERE" He went off for at least 3 minutes and then he called someone else and did the same thing for another 5... by that time he was screaming into the phone and so then I said "excuse me, Sir" and gave him a "shhh... " look like I didn't want to SAY anything because pfew... I didn't want to be his next victim. So he lowered his voice and went into the entrance. I mean how rude, I was on the phone for part of his ranting, and I'm sure the guest anywhere in the hotel could hear him!

Anyway, I left work and though "thats enough crazy day for me" I picked up Aiden and went to his PT appointment. His head is getting less flat on his right side, and his facial palsy looks better. She said he is doing very well and probably won't even need a helmet. YAY!!!

Then we got home, and Blake and Amber came over and we watched American Idol. Sanjaya sucked, even if Paula said it was "nice" and Simon said "Im going to regret this, but you weren't bad" he better not win. I'll never watch AI again!

now I'm going to bed. Tomorrow is my day off. GOOD!

Doug and Jas, Tab and Derek went to the Type O Negative concert tonight in Minneapolis. Hope they had fun! Can't wait to hear about it.

Sorry, that wasn' t so much Cliff's notes, hope you got through the whole thing okay!!!

Oh, and Aiden went to the doc. yesterday, he weighs 11lbs, 7.6oz!

4 comments:

BoneDaddy said...

Those are fucked up things alone to happen to you on shift, let alone all together and within a couple hours.
Nothing against the military, but I do have a big problem with the fact that officers tend to have this little respect for civilian establishments when they expect nothing short of absolute respect on base, even from civilians.

Penny said...

Wow your day really did suck. Glx to hear that the lady is going to be OK.
What!!??? 11lbs. 7.6 ozs, I'm not going to be able to lift him at this rate!

Anonymous said...

okay, about the military guy? is he taller, blonde, crew cut hair(of course), last name Murray??? we totally had a guy like this at our hotel last thursday. came in said he was waiting for is family to come see him for the first time in 2 years after being in ITALY. they were gonna stay the weekend with us. he hung out in our lobby ALL day. i left work at 1 or 2 cuz it was my day off of course. but finally we gave him a room to go to so he'd get out of our hair. (but let's not for get that becuz he's SOOOOO important, he didn't have a US visa, only a europian one. so we we're just gonna get one from his "family." well, "family never showed up" and come monday morning, he walked out on a bill of 3 room nights and a bar tab!! just goes to show that you can't trust anyone. what a jerk! i wonder if it's the same guy. a scammer, maybe. anyway, i'll need to follow up with you on this one. have a great day. love ya, tab

April said...

hm.. come to think of it, his "buddy" never showed up. But no, I don't think it is the same guy, although is was taller and blonde and he went to Italy...well... now that I think of it though... he never got a room though, so no scamming there... hm.. odd coincedence.