Monday, November 29, 2004

NO HEAT!!

So today I was awaken by this nasty metal scraping on metal noise, followed by a series of even nastier low grind sounds... hm.. it is coming from the heat vent. So I go to the thermostat and turn down the heat to make the heat turn off, and here like a click sound... I try to turn the heat back on... and it doesn't turn back on... hm.. no heat. But I get up and get ready to go to my first day at Sears. I went home early from the hotel because I was sick (I threw up.. you don't want to know about it I'm sure) So it was 2pm when I finally decided to get up and ready for Sears. I went to work, hoping that this heat thing wasn't an actual problem. Out of sight, out of mind, not a problem. I got home at 6:30 and still nothing, a little colder though. Here is a timeline:

6:30: Called Facilities on campus, they told us to call our Resident Advisor, we did, no answer

7:00: RA calls, said she'll send someone to fix it

8:00: RA comes to door to check to see how cold it is in our apt. They can't call someone in to fix it after business hours until the temp hits 65 degrees

9:00: RA comes back to check the temp... it is now at 68 degrees.

10:00: RA comes back to check temp... it is 65 degrees so now someone can be called in...

10:30 Facilities calls, the only person who can fix the heater lives an HOUR away, and it would be around MIDNIGHT when he got in town. And then would probably have to work on it for at least an hour. So basically he wasn't going to be here until tomorrow morning. GET THIS PART...
SHE TELLS US TO TURN OUR OVEN ON AND THAT WILL GIVE US HEAT! (not to mention a high electric bill)

Okay, so knowing that EVENTUALLY the temp in our apt would get to 65 degrees, they should have come to fix it ASAP. if they came when we FIRST reported the problem at 6:30, the heater could be fixed by now. and that guy an hour away wouldn't have had to be bothered late at night. AND WE HAVE NO HEAT. And it is like 10 degrees outside with wind right now, and these apartments are made of like tin and I can feel the draft from the closed window in my room. My nose is cold, and my fingers are cold... but I guess some people live in worse conditions, maybe I shouldn't be complaining, but I do PAY to live here.... with heat in the winter...
So Kevin went into the tunnel (see pics below) to see if there is anything he can hit or kick to make the blower fan start working... no luck

predicted time of our death: 3am.

2 comments:

Mrs S said...

Its a major bummer that you have no heat and your sick what a wonderful combination. yeezzzzzz some days are definetly better than others

Josie, group organizer said...

The logic of people amazes me at times. I'm just shocked at the stupidity of people.Well I hope you got the heat straightened out and are feeling better. Oh and as a tip if you plug in your curling iron and leave it right by your bed along with some other appliances it should help ya out. The fire hazard means nothing, really. :)